Learning Buddies are a wonderful tool to assist children with Autism, Specific Learning Disabilities, Emotional Behavioral Disorders, Developmentally Delayed, Intellectual Disability, and other conditions to improve learning and/or behavior.
- Learning Buddies remove the anxiety that many students suffer.
- Learning Buddies provide motivation. Many students are motivated to work harder knowing they will be able to work with a buddy.
- Learning Buddies give instantaneous gratification and motivation. Students will be able to give a buddy a high five, pet the Buddy or give the Buddy a hug as a reward for doing well.
Benefits & Effects
OF STUDENTS WERE LESS STRESSED AND ANXIOUS
OF STUDENTS SHOWED MORE INTEREST IN THEIR ACADEMICS
While research points to a reduction in stress levels. having a learning buddies in school have additional social & health benefits.
Tasks the learning buddies performed with the students included:
INTERRUPTING UNDESIRABLE BEHAVIOR
REDUCTION OF ANXIETY
PAWING TO BRING CHILD BACK TO PRESENT
When a Buddy enters a room, the class lights up. Everyone is excited to see a Learning Buddy. Students feels special when they go with their Learning Buddy and Learning Specialist.
- Breakthroughs with students that are not responding to other interventions
- Have a Learning Buddy and a Learning Therapist at the same price as a Learning Therapist
- Students who work with Learning Buddies show improvement in attendance
- Students are more likely to read out loud to Learning Buddy
- Students are less likely to show aggressive behaviors when working with a Learning Buddy